- Argos was recognized by the Dow Jones Global Index (DJSI) as the most sustainable cement company in the world.
- This is the ninth year in which the company has been positioned as a world leader in sustainability.
- The cement company achieved the highest rating in the following categories: Materiality, Risk Management, Environmental Reporting, Climate Change Strategy, Social Reporting, Human Rights, among others.
Argos was recognized, for the ninth consecutive year, as a global benchmark in sustainability in the construction materials sector, according to the Dow Jones Global Index (DJSI). The cement company and its holding Grupo Argos were positioned as leaders among 38 companies in the industry. Argos was also highlighted in the Latin American Integrated Market (MILA) – Pacific Alliance.
Due to its good environmental, economic and social practices, the company obtained the highest rating in the following categories: Materiality, Risk Management, Institutional Relations, Environmental Reporting, Water Risk Management, Climate Change Strategy, Social Reporting, Labor Practices and Human Rights.
“At Argos, we are greatly satisfied with this result which places us as a world benchmark in sustainability and reassures our commitment to closing gaps and implementing best practices in social, environmental, financial and corporate governance matters. This drives us to continue moving forward in creating social value to build the dreams of housing and infrastructure for millions of people.” Maria Isabel Echeverri, Argos Legal and Sustainability Vice-President
Celsia, the energy company of Grupo Argos, stood out in the global ranking as the best in its industry in Colombia and the eighth in the world.
Some of the actions that led Cementos Argos to be recognized:
- Recently, the company shared its commitment to climate change mitigation through two challenging goals: to reduce, by 2030, CO2 emissions by 29 % in its cement operations and, by 2050, to offer carbon-neutral concrete, aligned with the Global Cement and Concrete Association’s (GCCA) Net Zero ambition.
- So far in 2021, Argos has three credits linked to ESG performance indicators.
- Implements different sustainable transportation alternatives such as train, hybrid mixer trucks, gas-powered tractor-trailers and electric trucks.
- Green Bags Program, which consists, through reverse logistics, of collecting the bags used by its customers and then delivering them to companies that will make use of them.
- Use of calcined clays and other supplementary cementitious materials for the production of low-carbon cements.
- Purchase of electricity from renewable sources, such as the solar farm in Honduras and the purchase of electricity in Colombia with 100% renewable energy certification.
For more than 20 years the Dow Jones Sustainability Index has evaluated companies in 58 economic sectors and 27 countries based on sustainability criteria. This year the standards of around 3,500 of the world’s largest companies by market capitalization were studied.